The doctor is in

This morning we took E. to the doctor. One of the things I LOVE about our paediatrician is she works in a large(ish) clinic, and they do walk-in hours for sick children. They always, always have hours on Mondays to Fridays, often both in the morning and in the afternoon, and usually on the weekends as well.

Today their adolescent specialist (whom I have met before- he is really lovely) was going to be there between 9:30 and 11:00 a.m.

E. still wasn’t right, and Q. and I both felt it was time to make sure we weren’t missing anything.

E. had a superb sleep last night- slept from 7:30 p.m. until 7:00 a.m., so hopefully that’s the jet lag sorted! If it is, this will have been the easiest trip to recover from. The last time Q. and I came back from Europe, pre-E. in 2008, we were both waking up ridiculously early for close to two weeks, and we’re both scarred for life by last summer’s epic return from Oz.

This morning Q. woke up at 5:00, and I woke up at 5:30, so we crept downstairs (not an easy feat with our floorboards- if we get pregnant with our first FET and don’t need to spend all the money we’ve been saving on our hoped-for 2.0 we’re going to redo the floors upstairs so we can actually get up in the morning without waking our son). When E. woke up Q. made us all waffles with the new waffle iron he’d bought me for our anniversary (the sixth, where the traditional gifts are sugar and iron). Then I took E. to the park for half an hour where he filled up the park dump trucks with sand.

I tried to get to the clinic about ten minutes before the walk-in hours started, because the only negative thing about his paediatrician is the clinic is so good it is extremely well loved and as a result it is ALWAYS hideously busy.

Today we were lucky- when we turned up at 9:22, the doctor was already in seeing patients, and there were only two people in front of us. We were in a consultation room and the next one to see him by 9:29!

He was great. He has such a fantastic sense of humour, and he is reassuring without being patronizing. Basically the issue is whether E. picked up some form of food poisoning like salmonella to explain what we’re seeing in his diapers.  He then added: “I don’t know how much Goo.gling you’re going to do after you leave here, but if you do, you’ll see things like IBS or Crohn’s. But that’s very unlikely in this situation. It would be like bringing E. in with a cough. Could it be tuberculosis? Technically, yes, but it’s not likely.”

I LOVE that he knows his demographic so well that he anticipates a Mum will be mainlining the Dr.

He also reassured me that we did the right thing to wait so long before coming in. He said he was giving me “bonus points” for not coming in yesterday because by waiting the extra day it made it much more obvious that E.’s symptoms needed to be investigated. “If you’d come in earlier,” he said, “I would have had to tell you to go home and monitor the situation and come back later.” He also said that Q. and I had assessed the situation perfectly and our approach was exactly the right level of caution and confidence.

He also knows his demographic so well that he knows that a Mum will be feeling guilty if he says the words “food poisoning” and she waited three days before taking her child to the doctor.

Anyway, he made a joke about whether or not E. had been eating cronuts, and then sent me home to collect a sample to take to the lab. The down side is we have to keep E. pretty much isolated until we get the results back, and the little guy just lives to go to the park these days.

One of the advantages of just getting back home after four months away, however, is pretty much every toy in the house is new again. So we had a happy afternoon with E. playing with his train set, and his big garbage truck. While he napped, Q. and I moved his sand and water table outside to the side garden, and I scooped all the lentils out of the water side and filled it, so in the late afternoon I took E. out to play with it. This is the first time it’s been outside since my Mum and stepfather bought it for E. for his first birthday! Last summer we were away for the first half, and then never got around to setting it up. E. did use it all the time over the winter, as I put it in our basement filled with lentils and beans and whatnot, so it has had good use. But it was nice to see it in the garden.

We also spent a few minutes harvesting snow peas for dinner. Our house sitter put in a veggie patch and has told us to eat the fruits of his labour. I can think of no higher praise for his efforts than to say that E. doesn’t really eat green things these days, but he stood in that patch and wolfed down at least ten snow peas before he decided he was ready to do something else.

We’re hoping we’ll get the results back on Wednesday. Hopefully he’ll be clear. The doctor did say that even if it is salmonella or something similar, they may well not treat E. with anything, as adding antibiotics to the mix can actually slow down the time it takes for the infection to leave the system. Obviously if E. were really unwell we’d all be much more interventionist, but with the exception of the state of his diapers, and his complaints that his tummy hurts, he’s fine- no fever, sleeping and napping well, eating and drinking, bright and cheerful. He’s also (I discovered today) cutting his third molar- only one more tooth to go!

I’d planned today to get my study under control but we ended up having to take apart the storage room next to Q.’s study in the basement when I went in to pull out some baby things (we have friends who are due in September, and we’re going to loan them a heap of stuff) and discovered there was mould in quite a few places. So we pulled absolutely everything out, and I washed all the objects that were problematic, and Q. cleaned the floors and the walls, and then we put the dehumidifier in there and shut the door. Once it’s dried out we’ll put things back in, but we’re going to have to be a bit more careful with what we store in there, and how we store it. We did throw some things out, but nothing that probably shouldn’t have been thrown out already (we’ve been meaning to sort this room out since before E. was born), with the exception of my winter boots, which ended up with some seriously weird mould growth on the leather. I was going to need a new pair this year anyway, but now I won’t have the luxury of wearing my old ones to get to the good sales.

Between that, the visit to the walk-in, and Q.’s unexpected Zipcar rental to drop off E.’s sample at the lab (to try to speed up the processing time), it was a pretty disrupted day.



Filed under Daily Life, E.- the third year, Food, What were we thinking? (aka travelling with small children)

5 responses to “The doctor is in

  1. Em

    So glad that the doc isn’t overly concerned. Hoping for really good results from these tests. Poor little E! And poor mama and daddy too!

  2. Poor E! Feel better soon!

  3. Glad to hear E is adjusting a little bit better to being home. That should life a bit easier.

    Hopefully everything comes back normal on his sample. Has he ever had diarrhea with teething? Amelia had it non-stop when cutting her molars…

  4. Turia

    Thanks, ladies.

    Pam- E. used to have diaper problems when teething, but nothing with the two previous molars. And this is something else altogether- it’s never, ever been this bad. So I’m sure it’s not his teeth.

  5. Sarah

    I hope it’s nothing serious! We’ve never had “diaper problems” before now, but since the Lyme/antibiotics, Isaac’s had some tummy troubles pretty much nonstop. The only thing that’s really helped him has been giving him a kickass probiotic, but I haven’t been consistent enough with it :(.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s