I have a post about reading Con.quering Infertility that’s been going around in my head for the last week or so, but I thought I should wait on that one in order to update you all on my most recent trip to the clinic.
I wasted a lot of time, as per usual, especially as I had other appointments today in other places. It would have made more sense to go another day, but I could already feel that I was trying to sidle out of having to face the clinic, so I thought it was important to go.
All of our test results were back, and most of them were great. I do not have any type of blood clotting problems (it was a nice change to get a set of results back for me that didn’t show a new problem!). Q.’s DNA fragmentation was great, and his new analysis was really good.
Our f/s couldn’t find the last test at first, and he was worried that the lab had forgotten to run it. It turns out it hadn’t been filed, so we came across it at the receptionist’s, as the andrology lab must have run a new copy over. This meant that he discussed it with me, as I was leaving, out in the middle of the room. And this meant I didn’t ask the right questions about what it all meant.
The test is called FISH (Fluorescent in situ Hybridization) and it looks for (I think) chromosonal abnormalities in the sperm. It’s pretty new. Q. came back fine for everything, except that his result was a little bit out of the normal range for chromosome 21, which, as we all know, is tied to Down’s Syndrome.
The problem is I didn’t get any context from my f/s because we were in a hurry. I have no idea just how abnormal Q.’s result was, or by how much it raises our risk. I know what the normal range is, and what his result was, but I don’t know if that is a terrible result, or just a moderately bad one. Since it is such a new test, I have no idea how many men who produce perfectly healthy babies would show with a similar abnormal result.
I have to go back in to the clinic next week, as my u/s today showed that it’s possible my left ovary is thinking about producing an egg, and my f/s doesn’t want to start me on the bcps in preparation for an IVF cycle in August if I’m about to ovulate. So I will get a chance to ask him our questions.
He did tell me we had a couple of options, including doing pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) on any embryos we end up with. The main problems with this are: you have to freeze all the embryos and biopsy them, so no fresh transfer AND you are poking the embryos. I’m already not so happy with our level of medical interference. And, of course, this is expensive and would add another couple of grand (or more) to the cycle. He also said we could transfer two fresh and biopsy the remaining ones once they were frozen. Or we could do nothing, take our chances and wait to see what the u/s scan on any fetus showed.
The problem is we have no idea what our chances are, since I didn’t get any context, so we can’t make any sort of decision. I should have asked some better questions- I think I was a little stunned by the whole thing because all the other results were so good.
But the fact that he immediately raised this as an option worries me. Either he thinks there’s a serious possibility of problems, given the results, or he’s attempting to use our fear as a money grab. Neither option seems all that palatable right now.
So I guess we’ll just sit on it for a week, and I’ll make sure to ask the tough questions when I go back in next week.