“So this cycle is an IVF?”
The casual question came right at the start of the ultrasound. I blanched.
“Umm…no. That wasn’t the plan.”
While waiting to see the doctor I sneaked a look at my chart (of course I did- I always do!).
My ovaries liked the new drug regime.
No, I mean they REALLY liked the new drug regime.
To the tune of 12+ follicles on each side, all measuring between 9 and 12.
So I wasn’t too surprised when my doctor took one look at it, flipped back through my chart, shook his head and said, “We have to talk about converting this.”
The good news? It’ll cost less than a normal IVF (I think because the province is still picking up the bloods and ultrasounds at this stage). But we’re still talking close to $5,000. That includes freezing and storing any snow babies for a year. And it also includes a grand on ICSI, which my doctor thinks we should do because Q. and I have never had a pregnancy, so we don’t actually know if we can fertilize. He doesn’t want us to drop close to $3,000 to learn that no eggs fertilized.
Mind you, if there is some major problem that is preventing them from fertilizing, I’m not sure we should be messing around with that. Can anyone shed light on this? Can you have healthy babies even if your eggs and sperm are usually incompatible?
It will make the next few months really, horribly tight, financially. But we can probably manage it. We go back on Saturday (Q. is going to come this time), and that’s when we need to decide what to do.
I’m not sure what questions I need to ask. We want to know how much each FET costs at the clinic. I want my thyroid tested on Saturday, because I am NOT going to drop money on IVF if it is not perfect. And I don’t care if my f/s doesn’t think it is a problem. I know it is, and my endocrinologist agrees.
I want to ask about OHSS and my risks for it, and what they will do if that happens.
I’m freaking out a little. This is just so unexpected. And moving so quickly…retrieval would be mid next week!
Q. thinks we should jump in and do it, provided it won’t cripple us financially.
I’m still freaking out.